Wednesday 17 August 2011

We knew how to walk and run and hop, today we learnt how to march :)


Anna Hazare hum tumhare saath hai, inkalaab zindabaad, and they marched onwards.. The protestants were in full form. Singing patriotic songs and with an uproar of vandey mataram the fergussonians marched on and on. I was indeed earlier rather perturbed to join the rally. I was scared, I was in two minds. I wanted to stand up against corruption, but at the same time, there was this sinking feeling.
I wanted to support this man, who was great. Had qualities of this man, who smiles on every Indian rupee note. Had the will, the courage, the strength to stand up against the government. But was this rally safe. Was I doing the right thing? Did I know what I was doing? I stood still. I was frozen. I saw a 100 fergussonians shouting for justice. For equality. For well-being, and that pulled me into the rally. And there began my experience, a feel good experience
We sat around this triangulated structure, called the Kimaya, listening to few who had initiated the protest in college. They read out the Lokpal bill, tried encouraging us. I understood less. I realized more. I literally went into a flashback. The pictures of the Jailianwala massacre, the Dandi march, Nehru speech, 1857 uprising, Bhgat Singh’s trial all formed a collage in my mind. What I felt was unequivocal. It was so clear to me. It was so powerful that it can’t be expressed. I felt good. I felt I was fighting for the right thing. I dint feel wrong. It all felt so right. I felt like, yes finally I am being the change I want to see. I am doing what this country wants me to do.
Sometime ago a friend of mine said that I just express in words how much i disapprove the government of its horrible tactics but never do anything. Well. Her you are mister. I dint just walk in the rally. I dint just shout. I dint just wave the flag. I did it whole heartedly, and that’s what counts. I did it for the change. I want the Lokpal bill to pass.  And that’s what matters
The experience was boggling. We made charts; we got people to sign on it. We had patience. We sat there in the sun. We supported the country. We behaved like a strong, practical group of protestants. We dint break glasses, we dint light up buses. We went vocal. We actually followed Satyagraha. Yes. We all did. Did everything legally. We actually abided by the constitution. We all joined hands with this man, who has 67,000 bank balance and only 0.07 hectares of land. A man who lives in a small room and appreciates humanity. A man who has created a nationwide uprising
Kudos to the youth today! I am not going to curse the government here. I am talking about the 16-18 year old youth, which has indeed demanded respect for doing the right thing. I am sure, we are going to go on and change the world of politics. We are going to vote right. We are going to include ourselves in worthwhile service. We are going to make this a better place to live in. we are the youth who has the ability to make a change. We have to put it to use. Yes we have awoken. Yes we are fresh. We are young and we are strong. We are smart and we are capable. We are the youths of tomorrow
Jai hind!


No comments:

Post a Comment